Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said Sunday that the United States will “absolutely” be deporting people with pending asylum claims “if they should be” removed.
Noem was asked about illegal immigration and migration programs during an NBC “Meet the Press” interview on Sunday, and whether the Trump administration will deport individuals with pending asylum claims. The question was raised after President Donald Trump last week indicated that he would suspend migration from “third world countries” after an Afghan national allegedly shot two National Guard members last week, killing one, in Washington.
“Yes, we are going to go through every single person that has a pending asylum claim, has an asylum claim here in this country. You know, one of the requirements of asylum is that you have to come in every single year for a checkup, an interview process, and a re-vetting,” Noen said....